Saturday, February 22, 2014

Hi Everyone.  Well I’m back from my winter break and back to greenhouse grind.  This year I didn’t go anywhere too exotic, I spent my time visiting family and friends in Maine, New York, Vermont and California.   The time flew by. I did some snowy hiking in Maine,
Trees in Maine after an ice storm
went sailing in the San Francisco Bay, hiking in Lake Tahoe, I went to the San Francisco
Alpenglow in Lake Tahoe
Botanical Gardens, had some beach time and of course ate some really great food. It was amazing to see all of my family this year, which I don’t always make a lot of time to do.  I have no time for visits during the summer,
Lichen and moss covered tree Lake Tahoe
and often when I leave in the winter to go to some far off land, I want as much time as possible to explore and have adventures.
beach in SF
I got back last month and most of my time has been split between the greenhouse and the office.  I put the seed order together for the season, and I’m in the process of writing the crop plan.  As dreary and cold as it is outside, this is one of my favorite times of year.  Shopping for seeds allows you to dream of what could be.  You can picture in your mind’s eye where the plants will go and how they will look in all their mid-summer glory.

In the greenhouse I have started all of the micro greens again, and we are already 3 plantings deep.  February 10th I started all of the onion, shallot and leek transplants.  I like to start all of mine from seed rather than sets.  It gives me more choices on varieties, but it does mean that greenhouse work starts much earlier than it would otherwise.  Most other vegetables don’t need to be seeded before March.  I don’t like to start my transplants too early, because I think it stresses them to sit in the greenhouse in pots that are too small for them.  They become root bound and the shock when you finally plant them is much worse.  So my advice for the day; be patient spring is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your feedback!